Hi and welcome to my blog! Here is my introduction video below, enjoy!
I interviewed a great friend of mine, Abby Lopez. During my interview Abby mentions that her mother is from the united states and that her father is from Mexico. Her parents met here in Texas and eventually got married here as well. Abby and her two brothers were all born here and were raised in a primarily Spanish home. Abby mentions her mother being bilingual and that helping quite a bit once she started school and needed to learn English. Abby talks about being in ESL classes from the start of her education in pre-kindergarten. She remained in ESL classes until the fifth grade and she believes it shaped her into the fluent-bilingual speaker she is today. According to Wright, Abby is considered to have additive bilingualism which “occurs when a student develops proficiency in a new language without losing his or her home language...
Comment to Rachel
ReplyDeleteI agreed with your comment when you said watching videos and making replies in a second language does not really help you truly learn the language. I too, tried the Spanish language and a semester is not enough time to really learn especially when the textbook talks about the amount of time it takes for not only fluency but also understanding of a second language. I did not retain much Spanish from high school when a foreign language was required. I just remember a lot of listening to a lot of lectures and doing countless worksheets. I loved your philosophy where you mention that all children are unique. They come to us with their strengths and areas that they struggle in. Our author suggests that, “Information about the student’s ethnicity and culture may help explain some of the student’s behaviors in class and suggest things the teacher can do to be sensitive to his or her culture and incorporate aspects of that culture into the classroom” (Wright, 2015, p.24). We have to remember that daily as teachers. I also feel that creating a safe school environment will help students to feel like they can take that risk to learn or try something new. If we give our English language learners a chance by differentiating our curriculum we will contribute to the success of more productive and successful second language learners.
Wright, Wayne E. (2015) Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners, Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing
Hey Stacey,
DeleteI’m glad I was not the only person who did not retain much from our language learning experience last semester. One semester is not enough to learn an entire language which is something I think we should keep in mind. When we have ELLs in our class, we must be patient with them to understand that they might not get it the first or second time. It will be more work on our part but that’s why we’re wanting to be teachers. To help those students who need our attention and guidance.
Hi Rachel! I must agree that when learning a different language lecturing is not the best way to learn. There does have to be some lecturing of course, to introduce language rules and all, but practice and interaction is way more effective as you said. I promise you, Spanish is not as complicated, but regardless it’s great that you are making progress.
ReplyDeleteI do find pretty cool that you choose Spanish as your developing language in last semester acquisition class. As Wright describes Spanish is the most common language of the ELL U.S population (pg. 8). So, your background and your experiences with the Spanish community can help in your career, specially here in Texas.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
DeleteHi Lucy,
I too, thought Spanish was the most common language I would come across when teaching. But since I’ve started student teaching, I have seen over 13 students at my school alone who speak languages other than Spanish. Still, I think Spanish will be the most common language we come across while teaching in Texas, it’s important we are prepared for multiple other languages as well.
Hey Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI agree that lecturing a language to someone who hardly had connection with it before can be very difficult and hard to acquire. This was the situation for me while learning English in elementary school. I only knew how to speak and write in Spanish before attending elementary school. If it wasn’t for my teachers and tutors helping me learn and practice English in various ways, I wouldn’t have grasped it as fast as I did. When I was put in regular English classrooms, I would get pulled out once a day to work on my English learning skills. I remember that they focused a lot on phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics so I wouldn’t get so confused when I tried to speak or write in English and make less mistakes since I was acquiring those skills. (Wright, 2015, pg. 31-35)
Wright, Wayne E. (2015) Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners, Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing
Hi Carolina, I think that’s great that you were pulled every day to help with your English learning skills. In my field placement, there are constantly students in the English Second Language teacher’s class room. I think that’s great for those students are getting that exposure and additional help. I like how you bring up the phonology, morphology, syntax and so on. Thinking back on my Spanish learning experience, I was never taught any of that and maybe that is what I would of needed to attain Spanish better.
DeleteHello Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your statement that there needs to be more than PowerPoints and worksheets. I love that you mention providing aid for students to help them have the same accessibility because they don't have the same resources. Teachers need to encourage “ELLs to create new, positive sociocultural identifies that can help them negotiate the dynamic new world.” (Wright, 2015) It is very important to know the students outside of classroom to learn more about them. Also, it would also help teachers understand what aid they need to provide for the students.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hey Tiffany,
DeleteI like the quote you used from Wright’s book. ELLs bring in a new type of cultural to the classroom which is a great thing! I think this is great for teachers as well as the peers to experience a new type sociocultural indemnity. I think by having the students share their backgrounds they can get an understanding of where their peer is coming from and in a sense, be more accepting of each other.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete